NEWSFLASH
A forum for Scooterist's everywhere to find out what's going on in Wales. Please remember to leave your personal political views and your keyboard warrior rants at the door, I thank you. :-) Well what a change the sunshine makes, we've been able to get our Scooters out and leave the wets at home, makes a nice change. If you are interested in any of these great events check out the What's On section of this website. If you want your event headlined please PM me (dave 411) with all the details. If you are un able to join,mail me and I will sort it out,david.ruiz57@btconnect.com.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoove & Turrell Globe Cardiff Friday 25th Jan
19-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Smoove & Turrell Globe Cardiff Friday 25th Jan
With support Kookamunga and Cafe DJs til 2am
http://smooveandturrellglobecardiff.eventbrite.co.uk/
Also at Mojo King (no booking fee)
Spillers Records

Since the launch of their debut album Antique Soul in 2009 things have started accelerating very fast indeed for the Geordie duo Smoove & Turrell. From being a complete unknown to headlining stages to over 10000 people at Glastonbury, singer John Turrell has seen his life change dramatically since their first single I Can’t Give You Up became one of the most sought after 7” releases of the year – discussed endlessly on mod and northern soul forums with the final copies of the 500 run selling for north of £150 on ebay.

Producer Smoove, with a longer career behind him, exudes the confidence of someone who has seen it all before. Signed as a solo artist to the legendary Acid Jazz imprint in its heyday as well as various major label deals he has the confidence of a world class producer who has finally found a world class lyricist and singer to write with.

A quick re-cap on the story so far. Having completed recording of their debut album Antique Soul their live agent sent the finished copy to Jalapeno Records who took one listen and offered them a deal within an hour of the demo arriving.

Singles I Can’t Give You Up, You Don’t Know and Beggarman scored two Records of the Week on Radio 2 and a playlist on 6 Music between them and set the boys up for a summer of touring culminating in a triumphant Big Chill show before the boys retired to their Newcastle studio to record the songs they had been writing all summer and plot the next move.Eccentric Audio gave Smoove & Turrell three hit singles. Slow Down hit # 1 in the itunes soul chart and was playlisted by national radio stations across Europe. Hard Work was playlisted on Radio 2 in the UK and heavily supported by hipster LA station KCRW. Gabriel was a downbeat Christmas hit at the end of 2011 and the boys capped off an amazing year with live appearances on BBC Radio 2 on Christmas Eve and BBC 6 Music on New Years Eve.

2012 has been about touring and writing. The word on Smoove & Turrell was firmly out by this point and in the US and Europe their music has been heavily used in TV Shows, films and adverts giving them an exposure they could only hope for in the start.

Some live ambitions were also achieved when the boys supported some of the greats of soul including Nile Rogers and Chic, and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas over the festival season. Summer took Smoove & Turrell to the White Isle for the first time with Ibiza’s most famous party Crew We Love inviting the boys to come over and work their magic on Space.

A host of other killer festivals like Spraoi in Ireland, Jazz on The Lake Amsterdam and San Pellegrino in Croatia allowed the boys to spread the Geordie love far and wide, while never forgetting their home fans (the band have just sold out two consecutive Christmas shows in Newcastle).

That sounds like it would be enough to keep anyone busy but in the meantime John has been guesting with Featurecast on their single Ain’t My Style and Smoove has compiled an album of his remixes called First Class which is out in October and has had amazing feedback with Fatboy Slim describing it as “a class act”.

For the next few months the duo are spending any time they have in between gigs back in their Newcastle base recording new songs with the band for their third album due out in 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Smoove & Turrell Globe Cardiff Friday 25th Jan - Red Fox - 19-01-2013 02:58 AM