NEWSFLASH
A forum for Scooterist's everywhere to find out what's going on in Wales. Please remember to leave your personal political views and your keyboard warrior rants at the door, I thank you. :-) Well what a change the sunshine makes, we've been able to get our Scooters out and leave the wets at home, makes a nice change. If you are interested in any of these great events check out the What's On section of this website. If you want your event headlined please PM me (dave 411) with all the details. If you are un able to join,mail me and I will sort it out,david.ruiz57@btconnect.com.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear Cluster
09-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Gear Cluster
Accumulating parts for an 200cc + engine build and have been reading loads about gear ratios etc etc
I`m not bothered about going much above 70+ just want torque .
If I've already got a late Li150 pacemaker loose gears what cluster should I be on the lookout for ??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: Gear Cluster
A late 150 pacemaker cluster. The clusters aren't mix and match, you must use the correct gears for the cluster or they won't mesh correctly

paul D
pembs finest sc
pembrokeshire sc
the outcast 1 sc
The only scooterist in the village (bugger there's another one here now. no he's gone again...he's back, i wish he'd make his bloody mind up.)

forgive them lord for they havent got a bloody clue!

...and now we've gone and spoiled everything
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2017, 04:33 PM
I did think that but I wasn`t 100%....OK tidy
09-01-2017, 08:38 PM
To get a true 70mph with the Pacemaker box you will have to run an 18 tooth front sprocket and a 47 tooth rear sprocket,and be pushing 7000rpm.
If you are having difficulty in getting a cluster dont panic,there are much more easily available boxes out there that will suit your requirements.The Pacemaker box was always a favourite with the race boys because it had the smallest jump between 3rd and 4th gears.The Italian Li150 series 3 box,and the SX200 box all have nicely flowing ratios,and can be used with various combinations of front and rear sprockets to get a satisfactory final drive ratio.
A mildly tuned 225/230 motor with a 48mm clubman type pipe and a 26/28mm carb will make a nice torquey tourer capable of the speed you require without revving the cobblers off it,and will be able to pull the higher gearing.

[Image: tu2Uuq.jpg]
'Kevspeed',dissing Northern Soul since the beginning of time.
Nobody on their death bed ever said "I wish I had a Vespa",now GET THE B+Q BATHROOM SET OFF THE FRONT OF YOUR SCOOTER FOR F**KS SAKE!
10-01-2017, 08:20 AM
My imola has an Li150 box and ( I think ) 17-46 . That really flies fair play ( 86 on the GPS and I was shitting it ) but I`d like something a bit calmer and stronger if you know what I mean. I've got reed valved mugello 198 and that feels a bit gutless compared .
Picked up a cheap casing so was just accumulating parts and the pacemaker gears came up cheap .
I could just look at what other complete boxes are out there . Are the vijay super ones that bad ?
Its my first complete attempted engine build. I`m pretty handy but I`ve never done one from a bare casing. No rush
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 07:58 PM by kevspeed.)
86 mph!!,you must have been around 8000 rpm.
A nice big cc will pull the best,225/230/240,then geared up to say an SX 200 box 16 front,46 rear should give you around 80 mph at 7000 rpm,so lower revs a nice comfortable 70 mph.

(10-01-2017 08:20 AM)nellyboyo Wrote:  Are the vijay super ones that bad ?

A few people use the Vijay super (mk1) due to the jump between 3rd and 4th being smaller than the original ratios used in the Italian GP/SX 150's.
The Vijay mk 2 is a bit of a weird box but has the same top ratio as an SX 200!

Nobody on their death bed ever said "I wish I had a Vespa",now GET THE B+Q BATHROOM SET OFF THE FRONT OF YOUR SCOOTER FOR F**KS SAKE!
11-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Tidy Kev , thanks for the help. I`ll see whats about . Are all S3 gearbox parts apart from the GP type end-plate pretty much interchangeable ?
So an Italian lay shaft and Indian selector arm etc etc .

There`s a road by Coelbren above Neath that runs between the Neath and Swansea valleys. It must have been a railway sidings years ago or something as it is absolutely arrow straight for about a mile and quite wide. Coming from the Neath end its very slightly downhill long sweeping curve and then along the straight. I hammered it along there on a quiet day and the revs went through the roof and held on for dear life .
Honestly its an imola ultimate and I couldn`t believe the speed recorded on the phone when I got back . It really doesn`t handle as well as my S2 so I was terrified TBH but gritted my teeth and manned up...Ha
11-01-2017, 04:32 PM
(11-01-2017 09:35 AM)nellyboyo Wrote:  Tidy Kev , thanks for the help. I`ll see whats about . Are all S3 gearbox parts apart from the GP type end-plate pretty much interchangeable ?
So an Italian lay shaft and Indian selector arm etc etc

Most parts in the gearbox/clutch are are interchangeable,now and then there crops up an odd size/fit,but this is usually down to bad machining or wear.
Assemble all parts to test the clearences,and make sure all shims are in placeCool

12-01-2017, 08:44 AM
OK tidy , I`ll see what I can pick up